Remodeling your kitchen is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your kitchen appliances. With so many options and styles to choose from, however, it can be difficult to decide what to buy. To make sure that your appliances enhance rather than detract from your overall kitchen décor scheme, choose appliances that match your kitchen countertops.
There are a wide variety of options available when it comes to kitchen countertops, but some options create a more modern aesthetic than others. Below you will find a brief overview of the benefits for each option:
- Stainless Steel – One of the most popular options for modern kitchen countertop materials is stainless steel. Not only is this material resistant to water, stains, heat, and bacteria, but it is very easy to maintain. Stainless steel may be a little on the pricey side, but it has an elegant and modern feel to it.
- Poured Concrete – Though it may seem counterintuitive, concrete counters can create a natural and organic look in the modern kitchen. These counters can be shaped in any way you can imagine and colored to suit any décor scheme. In addition to being stain- and heat-resistant, poured concrete counters are also highly durable and more affordable than natural stone.
- Butcher Block – This type of countertop material creates an elegant yet casual feel, which is perfect for the modern kitchen. Butcher block is very durable, but it does need to be sealed and oiled regularly to prevent stains and scratches. This material is available in a variety of thicknesses, and it can be used for the entire countertop or as a cutting board insert.
- Soapstone – A type of natural stone, soapstone is a modern alternative to granite and marble. Soapstone typically comes in gray tones, and it darkens beautifully with age. This material is very durable and nonporous, so you do not have to seal it as you do with granite and slate. Soapstone is resistant to bacteria, and all you have to use to clean it is simple soap and water.
- Quartz – Another naturally occurring material, quartz is a great option for the modern kitchen. This material is extremely durable and scratch-resistant, which makes it very low-maintenance. Quartz doesn’t need to be sealed, and it comes in a wide variety of colors to match just about any décor scheme you can come up with.
Selecting Kitchen Appliances for Your Counters
Choosing the appliances for your kitchen is largely a matter of preference, but you should take into consideration the materials you select for your countertops. Stainless steel appliances are always a popular choice for the modern kitchen, and they work well with just about any countertop material.
They look particularly attractive when paired with dark counters or when contrasted with wood flooring. If you aren’t tied to stainless steel, however, black appliances can also work very well with dark counters – particularly with poured concrete or soapstone. As an alternative, black appliances can sometimes provide an attractive contrast to light-colored counters, such as butcher block or quartz.
If you select all-white appliances from the same manufacturer to ensure a cohesive style, they can look very attractive against dark countertops if your cabinetry is also white. When paired with wooden cabinetry, white appliances can look out of place, so keep this in mind when making your selection.
When it comes to choosing your kitchen appliances, you have many different factors to consider. In addition to thinking about the price and features provided by the appliances, you also have to think about how they will fit in with your kitchen décor scheme. If you are going for a sleek and modern look, stainless steel appliances are never a bad choice. There are some cases, however, where black or even white appliances can look at-home in the modern kitchen.