Granite is very beautiful without any embellishments needed. That’s why it’s one of the most popular countertop materials amongst homeowners. This popularity means that if you want to stand out and install countertops unique to your home, you’re out of luck. There are very few countertop options out there that would let you customize it to some extent. The most you can do is choose different granite edge profiles and shapes.
But is that true? Have you heard of granite etching? It might help you customize and personalize your kitchen countertop.
What is Granite Etching?
Etching is essentially drawing on polished granite. The stone is expensive so people are hesitant to engrave or etch it in anyway. However, the effect can be great. You might think that etching would damage it, but there are granite artifacts with etching all around the world. They’re hundreds of years old and still very much intact.
Artists out there can create beautiful designs, portraits, and patterns on granite with etching. The process is widely used for several purposes so why not in bathrooms and kitchen counters?
How is it Done?
There are several ways to etch granite:
- In small projects, granite can be etched by hand using a diamond tipped tool. This is usually used in monuments and other such structures. This is one of the oldest methods to etch granite and has been used to create stunning art for several years now.
- Laser can also be used to etch granite. The slab is placed in the machine, a design is programmed into it, and the laser imprints that design onto the granite.
- Another process used to carve designs onto the marble is acid etching. In this process, an acid-retardant is applied to the polished granite surface, and the design is carved into it. After that, a strong acid is carefully applied to the surface. After the acid has had its effect, the surface is cleaned and the retardant is removed.
There are other methods, but these are most commonly used. The results are stunning designs that look like they’ve been drawn on paper or are a part of the stone.
Where Can it be Used?
The applications of etched granite are nearly limitless. You can use it on your fireplace as a beautiful veneer. Some people also place designs on granite floors. You’ll find them in large corporate building entrances. The beautiful floors that you assumed were tiles are actually etched granite.
Similarly, you can use etched granite on your kitchen countertops. Etching doesn’t really compromise the stone enough for you to worry. You can carry out the regular sealing process, and your countertops would look stunning at all times. They still continue to be as resilient as regular granite.
If you want something that would stand out and grab attention, you can try this option. There’s really no limit to the kind of designs and patterns you can add to your countertops with etching.
Things to Keep in Mind
There are several things you need to keep in mind before you purchase etched granite countertops. Consider the following points:
- Etching looks best on darker pieces, especially black granite. If you want the full effect, you will need to purchase black granite.
- The countertop would require all the care that granite countertops need. It’s a good idea to seal it regularly to maintain its looks.
- It’s also a good idea to choose a discreet, understated design that would go along with your general home décor.
If you want something new and interesting, etched granite might just be a solution for you. If you have more questions, call Five Star Stone Inc. at 727 265 1100 or just fill this contact us form and we’ll get back to you.